Oct 27, 2012

I am NOT Malala


I am not Troy Davis, and I am NOT MalalaThe "I am 'x person who is oppressed'" meme has been growing fast, but seems to have reached a high pitch with the "I am Malala" campaign being promoted by no less than the The Office of the UN Special Envoy for Global Education. 

OF COURSE I am horrified by the attack Malala faced, and of course, I totally support education for all, and the work of the special envoy.  I just don't get why we have to pretend to BE Malala to STAND with Malala, and to support the campaign for education for all.  I have so many more privileges, that I am clearly NOT Malala, and it seems appriopriative to say so.  Maybe the intent is to be a version of the labor solidarity slogan, 'an injury to one is an injury to all', which of course I agree with, but it seems to deny and elide the huge gulfs of difference between me and Malala.  The video on the I am Malala website (below) does not in any way try to build solidarity by showing HOW I might be like Malala, or how an attack on Malala is also an injury against me. 

No comments: